Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Currently, a banking and finance journalist for Bloomberg News, Laura Keller covers news on some of the USA’s largest retail & investment banks.
- Laura, the award-winning TV, print and radio reporter, is certainly no stranger to Wall Street, neither is she shy to bring to light the companies which hover on brink of bankruptcy.
Young Life & Education Details :
- Laura began her higher education studies at the University of Cape Town, where she studied Economics.
- She later graduated with the class of 2009, from the University of Southern California (USC) with a double major in print journalism and economics.
- Later, she went on to study for her master’s degree in Broadcast Journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
- Her coursework mostly covered business topics using data journalism and digital storytelling. Laura also studied the Post-Dodd-Frank regulation of financial deliveries at the Columbia Law School.
Laura Keller Bloomberg Stint :
- Laura joined Bloomsburg in 2012 as an intern on the Finance Team News, where she reported on banks for the network’s News’ Wire service in the Greater New York City Area. The internship lasted less than a year, but in 2014 she returned to Bloomberg as a reporter for ‘Distressed Debt.’
- For 27 months, Laura wrote reports covering the capital structures of top public and private companies.
- Some of her top stories include: the Puerto Rico sovereign debt crisis and the bankruptcy of Caesar Entertainment Corp.
- In February 2016, Laura moved to Bloomberg’s banking sector and currently reports on some of the USA’s largest banks. Her articles often cover Wells Fargo, Jefferies Group and the Bank of America, as well as top finance executives in the business of banking and financial strategy.
Early Career :
- Aside from writing for Bloomberg, Laura has also provided reports for the New York Financial Trade Publication, the Committee to Protect Journalists, Columbia News Tonight and NY City Lens.
- She has also been a freelance researcher for site GigaOM.
- From 2007 – 2011 she was a Media Specialist for the City of Los Angeles, where she launched a new website for the Department of Transportation, as well as providing advertisements and press releases for other state offices.
- Laura’s first media-based job was as Editor in Chief to the University of Southern California’s prestigious student newspaper, the Daily Trojan, from 2007-2008.
Volunteer Work & Other Interesting Facts :
- Laura has been involved in various charity programs.
- During her university years she spent two years teaching literary and computer skills at Downtown Women’s Centre in Los Angeles.
- In 2011, she joined an NGO program with Support for International Change, she spent some of that year living in a rural village near Babati, Tunisia, where she taught about public health, focusing specifically on HIV and AIDS.
- Laura can speak 3 languages: English, Spanish and Swahili.