Margaret Talev is a political analyst, journalist & reporter based in Maryland. She is married to USA Today editor Ray Locker.
Early Life, Family & Education :
- Talev is the first American generation of her family, as her parents had moved to the USA from Bulgaria just after getting married.
- Bilingual, she speaks native Bulgarian fluently as well as English. She has said it is vital to her to maintain her fluency in Bulgarian so that she can honor her heritage.
- Education : Although she was not a big fan of school, Talev knew that she wanted to be a journalist, so she worked hard enough to get accepted into University.
- In 1990, she started her studies at the University of Maryland in College Park, MD. She graduated with her Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism and a major in Political Science in 1994.
- During her time there, she also produced segments for local radio station WRC so as to start getting some insight into the news reporting industry.
Professional Life & Career : Salary & Net Worth
- After graduating from University, Talev’s first real reporting job came with the Tampa Tribute. She was their regional reporter from 1995 to 1999 before she moved on to a reporting role with the Los Angeles Times.
- Her work with the LA Times was highly praised. She was part of a team that covered the Alaska Airlines Flight 261 Crash in 2000. Their work on the story earned them a finalist spot for the 2001 Pulitzer Prize Awards.
- After around three years there, Talev moved onto the Sacramento Bee briefly, before landing a role working as the White House Correspondent for McClatchy Newspapers in 2002.
- During her time with McClatchy, she received a ‘Scripps Howard Raymond Clapper Memorial Award’ for her work in uncovering the politicization of the justice department at the hands of the Bush administration.
- In 2011, Margaret made her move to Bloomberg & till mid-2019, she worked there as their Senior White House Correspondent.
- She also serves on the boards of the White House Correspondents Association and the Washington Press Club Foundation.
- In September 2019, she joined Axios in the role of Editor, White House and Politics. Talev also continues to work with CNN, appearing as a political analyst.
- The Trump Administration has been a busy time for Talev, as the coverage is literally nonstop – she says that they work all the time. She added that most Press Corps members sleep most nights for less than five hours, and even try to catch up on weekends. Usually, after the first 100 days of a new President, things usually ease up a bit. However, under President Trump, the changes have affected the pace at which reporters need to report, and their manner of reporting. However, Talev does believe that it is an interesting time to be covering the White House, as there’s no news shortage.
Margaret Talev Married Life :
- After moving to Washington in the early 2000s, Talev met Ray Locker, who at the time was also working as a political reporter.
- The two hit it off and were married soon after. She still continues to use her maiden name professionally.
- Prior to his relationship with her, Ray had children from a previous relationship. Talev became stepmother to those children, and she has said that before this, she was unsure as to if she even wanted children.
- She loved the time she spent with her stepchildren so much, that she went on to have two daughters of her own with Locker.
Social Media :
- Margaret is quite active on social media. She uses the handle @margarettalev for Twitter. As of 2020, she has 75,000+ followers. She tweets almost daily, with most of her tweets being political updates.