Biography Profile / Wiki Information
Emily Kaplan is an American sports journalist. She is also a national NHL reporter for ESPN.
Personal Life : Family & Education
- Emily Kaplan was born on May 7, 1991, in Montclair, New Jersey, to parents Naomi Kaplan (mother) and Dave Kaplan (father).
- She is the middle child of three daughters in her family – she has an older sister, Leah Kaplan Beardslee, and a younger sister, Eva Kaplan.
- She grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, and went to Montclair High School from 2005 to 2009.
- After graduating from Montclair High School, Emily headed to Pennsylvania. She attended the Bellisario College of Communications at Pennsylvania State University from 2009 to 2013. She graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism.
- After growing up and studying on the East Coast, Emily now lives in Chicago, Illinois.
Career, Income, Salary & Net Worth :
- During her time at the Pennsylvania State University, Emily worked for the Philadelphia Enquirer as a Penn State football reporter from 2012 to 2013.
- From 2010 to 2013, she was also a stringer for the Associated Press.
- Emily was a sports intern at the Boston Globe in 2013.
Full Time Work :
- In 2014, Kaplan joined the ranks of Sports Illustrated as a staff writer, where she continued covering college football and the National Football League (NFL). Emily spent some months in 2013 as an intern here before she was offered this full-time position.
- While at Sports Illustrated, Emily worked for sportswriter Peter King. She was also on several road trips for the job, such as a Superbowl and two training camp ones. She wrote stories on popular players like Patrick Mahomes, Malcolm Butler, Danny Watkins, and Johnny Manziel.
- She was very close to her team at Sports Illustrated, especially because she was on the road with them so often.
- In 2017, Emily left Sports Illustrated and joined ESPN, changing from covering football to covering her initial passion – hockey. As of 2020, she is working for ESPN as a national NHL reporter covering the NHL beat.
Trivia, Height & Interesting Facts :
- Emily loved hockey as a child when she bonded with her father Dave Kaplan over the sport. She grew up watching the games of the hockey team New York Rangers in particular.
- While interning at Sports Illustrated, Emily worked as a fact-checker. In that role, she helped Lee Jenkins with details for his story on Peyton Manning. She collaborated with other Sports Illustrated senior writers such as Pete Thamel, Michael Rosenberg, and Greg Bishop.
- Peter King, the sportswriter Emily worked with at Sports Illustrated, is also from Montclair, New Jersey, and first noticed Emily when she was a teenager writing bylines for the town newspaper. Kaplan frequently refers to Peter as her mentor.
- In her free time, she loves traveling wherever and whenever she can. She also enjoys long hikes and kicking back to unwind with some beer.
- She appeared on the ESPN show ‘Around the Horn,’ winning the debate of the night with her hockey knowledge.