Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Gary Tanguay is a sports reporter, anchor, and actor. Currently, he is a co-host on NBC Sports Boston and also writes for several publications.
- The Maine native is a proud father and also has a modest social media following. Though he studied journalism in university, he had several other jobs before landing a full-time position as a sports reporter, which he has now held for more than two decades.
Personal Life, Parents & Family Background :
- Gary was born on May 25th, 1964, in Rumford, Maine. He has one sibling, a sister named Marie.
- Gary’s mother, Bertha passed away in 2000 & his father lives in Gary’s hometown.
- He grew up in a small town called Fryeburg, near Rumsford.
- Gary married his wife, Randi, in 1998.
- Randi & Gari have three children, daughters – Harper and August, and son, Van. The children often enjoys tickets to a few events Gary covers.
- Though he sometimes clashed with his Sports Tonight co-host Greg Dickerson, the two generally got on well with Gary stating, “If we were alike, it (the show) wouldn’t work.”
Education & Early Life :
- Gary graduated from the University of Maine with a BA in Journalism/Speech Communications.
Net Worth, Salary & Career :
- Gary has taken roles on several shows including Uno’s Sports Tonight, Early Edition (June 2000), Fox Sports New England(1998), Fox Sports Net New England (2000), FSN New England (2004), Comcast SportsNet New England (2007) and finally on NBC Sports Boston in 2017.
- Previous to his work as a talk show host, Gary had several jobs, both journalism associated and not. This includes disc jockeying for WABI radio, part-time broadcaster on WEEI radio, sales in a band design firm & some sports reporting for WBZ radio station.
- Gary has also done several acting roles (mostly as a newscaster or reporter) in movies like Gone Baby Gone, Stiffs, Adventures of Serial Buddies and Bleed for This.
- After acting as a replacement host for Rich Shertenlieb in the radio show Toucher & Rich on WBZ FM, Gary received criticism for derailing an interview with then Winter Olympic curling correspondent Trenni Kusnierek. This resulted in some ribbing by the two hosts of the show in their next broadcast.
Trivia, Height & Fun Facts :
- Gary has over 50,000 Twitter followers and a public Facebook account.
- His favorite movies are Animal House, The Rock, The Usual Suspects and Nobody’s Fool.
- He rates Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Troy Brown, Tom Brady and Lyndon Byers as his top five New England athletes.
- Gary regularly shares short videos that he calls “velfies” (short for ‘video selfies’) on his Facebook.
- Gary Tanguay Illness / Sick : In April 2019, He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He announced it on Twitter by posting video.