Wiki Information / Biography Profile
- Raj Bisram is a television presenter and an antiques expert. He is one of the leading auctioneers in the United Kingdom and is currently a presenter on Channel Four’s show Four Rooms.
- Raj’s work on TV has made him a celebrity, performing auctions around the globe. However, he is most well-known in the UK and in Europe.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Raj Bisram was born in 1956 in London, where he lived with both his parents and two sisters.
- He was brought up in a traditional Indian family home & attended school in North London, where he grew a love for sports.
- As a youth, Bisram enjoyed trips to the countryside with his family, as well as watching cinema and spending time in the local pawnbroker’s store.
- Raj is married to his wife Sue & has two grown-up daughters Roo and Jade.
Early Life & Education :
- Raj Bisram attended Highgate Highschool in London, after which he joined the army.
- In the army, Raj became a Physical Training Instructor, which led him to discovering skiing.
- Building up his skiing skills, he went on to represent the British Army in downhill racing and the slalom as well as becoming a qualified ski instructor in Austria. Bisram was the first non-Austrian to ever gain this position
- After realizing that he did not want to continue having a regular job, Raj decided to turn to his childhood fascination of antiques, from which his auctioneering career grew.
Career, Income, Salary & Net Worth :
- In 1995, Raj Bisram started Cranbrook Auction Rooms together with Wilfred Wheaton. This later became Bentley’s Fine Art and Antique Auctioneers, which he still directs today.
- Raj’s career led him to become a celebrity television auctioneer, working on several television programs including Posh Pawn, Bargain Hunt and Antiques Road Trip. He has been a dealer on Four Rooms since 2013, which has gone on to win a number of awards.
- Raj, together with his business partner, has developed an app that helps in Silver Mark Recognition. This innovation has streamlined a process of identifying over 20,000 marks, which are made and used to identify silver. Before the app this was done through studying books.
Trivia, Height & Fun Facts :
- Raj has had a fascination with antiques all his life. He accidentally bought his first antique when he was only 10 years old, which he bought from a pawnbroker’s shop located between his childhood home and his school.
- He generously contributes to charitable causes such as the Great Britain’s Variety Club, which is a children’s charity that provides coaches and equipment to disabled children.
- For Raj, being an auctioneer is not about the money. For him, the excitement is always there, no matter how big or small a deal he makes.
- Bisram is not only an auctioneer; he also has a talent and love for magic, which has led him to perform worldwide. He has also been known to combine his two talents of magic and auctioneering, especially for benefit events.
- Raj loves cooking, with his favourite dish being the Indian Punjabi Masala Chicken.
- BBC Presenter Anita Rani once described Bisram as the “King of Auctioneers for 30 years.”