Wiki Biography / Profile Information
- Rich Lerner is a golf enthusiast, presenter and a TV personality. He is the host of play-by-play Golf Channel’s PGA Tour tournament coverage.
Personal Life : Family Background and Education
- Although currently residing in Maitland, Florida , Rich Lerner grew up in the city of Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Lerner grew up with his parents in a family of 6. He has 3 other siblings, all of them brothers.
- Born in a family of Jewish descent, Rich’s grandfather George was a Russian Jewish immigrant. George was one of the founding fathers of the Jewish Community Center while his aunt was the first female President of the same.
- Rich is married to a lady named Robin and the pair have two sons named Jesse and Jack. Both Jesse and Jack have been part of the basketball teams of the Jewish Community Center.
- Even Rich’s wife Robin Lerner and her family are Jewish. Infact, the two met at a preschool at the Jewish Community Center.
Early Life and Education :
- Growing up, Rich Lerner often worked at his father Mickey’s golf course and driving range. This was how his simmering passion for golf developed.
- For 2 years, Rich was on the golf team for Lehigh University, a private research institution in Pennsylvania.
- He later transferred to Temple University, another school in Pennsylvania. While at Temple University, Rich earned a degree in broadcasting – Radio, TV and Film. This was in 1983 and it paved way for his career as a golf broadcasting anchor.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- After earning a degree in 1983, Rich started working at a local TV station in Allentown – WFMZ. Here, he was the sports director as well as the play-by-play voice of Lehigh football. He continued working at WFMZ until 1991.
- However, Rich’s popularity truly soared when he joined Golf Channel in 1997.
- Since joining Golf Channel, he has brought to the table numerous ideas such as ‘New York Stories’ and ‘Tiger Woods: Millennium Man’.
- Besides being a golf broadcaster, Rich is a prolific golf writer as well. His writings often focuses on upcoming players in the golfing world.
Awards and Recognition :
- Lerner has a few awards under his belt – for his documentary Se Ri Pak, A Champion’s Journey, he was honored with the Women’s Sports Foundation Journalism Award.
- For his contribution to a story on 1964 U.S. Open winner Ken Venturi, he was given a Telly award.
- In 2012, he was inducted into the Lehigh Hall of Fame.
- In 2014, he was further inducted into the Lehigh Valley Golf Hall of Fame.
Trivia, Height & Interesting Facts :
- Asides from golf, Rich’s hobbies include basketball, reading and working out.
- He once got into a controversy with a former colleague Angela Garcias over the naming of her child. He posted a tweet which was to be taken as a joke, but Angela did not take it that way. He later apologized and the matter was resolved.