Rich Lerner is a golf enthusiast, presenter, and TV personality on the Golf Channel. He is the host of play-by-play Golf Channel’s PGA Tour tournament coverage.
Personal Life : Family Background and Education
- Although currently residing in Maitland, Florida, Rich Lerner grew up in the city of Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Rich grew up with his parents Les and Elaine Lerner, in a family of six people. He has three other siblings, all brothers.
- Born in a family of Jewish descent, Rich’s grandfather George was a Russian Jewish immigrant. George was one of the founding fathers of the Jewish Community Center while his aunt, Pat, was the first female President of the same.
- For more than three decades, Rich is married to a lady named Robin, and the pair have two sons named Jesse and Jack. Both Jesse and Jack have been part of the basketball teams of the Jewish Community Center.
- Even Rich’s wife Robin Lerner and her family are Jewish. In fact, the two met at a preschool at the Jewish Community Center.
Early Life and Education :
- Growing up, Rich Lerner often worked at his father Mickey’s golf course and driving range. This was how his simmering passion for golf developed.
- For two years, Rich was on the golf team for Lehigh University, a private research institution in Pennsylvania.
- He later transferred to Temple University, another school in Pennsylvania. While at Temple University, Rich earned a degree in broadcasting – Radio, TV and Film. This was in 1983 and it paved way for his career as a golf broadcasting anchor.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- After earning his college degree in 1983, Rich started working at a local TV station in Allentown – WFMZ-TV. Here, he was the sports director, as well as the play-by-play voice of Lehigh football. He continued working at WFMZ until 1991.
- He then relocated to Dallas, Texas, where he spent three years in sports-talk radio.
- After that, Rich moved back home to Lehigh Valley, where he joined the travel business his parents owned.
- In 1997, Rich auditioned for the Golf Channel through an acquaintance, who was a producer there. He has been working for the channel ever since as a golf reporter.
- Through his job at the Golf Channel, Rich gets to travel the world for most major events in golf. He has anchored coverage from the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup, as well as the PGA Tour.
- He’s also the lead host for Live From and a reporter on In Play with Jimmy Roberts. He covers Augusta National Golf Club and hosts Legendary Conversation, too.
- On top of his reporting duties, Rich also writes about golf in essays and features. He pitches ideas to the channel too, and some of these ideas have become successful, like the specials – New York Stories, Courage, and Tiger Woods: Millennium Man.
Awards and Recognition :
- Lerner has a few awards under his belt – for his documentary Se Ri Pak, A Champion’s Journey, he was honored with the Women’s Sports Foundation Journalism Award.
- For his contribution to a story on 1964 U.S. Open winner Ken Venturi, he was given a Telly award.
- In 2012, he was inducted into the Lehigh Hall of Fame.
- In 2014, he was further inducted into the Lehigh Valley Golf Hall of Fame.
Trivia, Height & Interesting Facts :
- Asides from golf, Rich’s hobbies include basketball, reading, and working out.
- He once got into a controversy with a former colleague Angela Garcia, over the naming of her child. He posted a tweet that was to be taken as a joke, but Angela did not take it that way. He later apologized, and the matter was resolved swiftly.