Arlene Silver is a makeup artist that has worked on various films. She is also the current wife of veteran actor Dick Van Dyke and is also sometimes referred to as Arlene Van Dyke.
Personal Life & Marriage :
- Arlene was born on September 21, 1971, in New York and grew up in the Bronx.
- She met Van Dyke in 2006 at the Screen Actors Guild(SAG Awards), where she was in charge of makeup backstage.
- Dick Van Dyke (born in 1925) has been in the film and acting industry for decades, and was first thrust into the spotlight after he starred in the 1960 musical Bye-Bye Birdie.
- In films, he is perhaps most known for his role in the hit movie Mary Poppins (1964) and his show The Dick Van Dyke Show, which ran from 1961 to 1966.
- Dick has only had one other marriage besides Silver. That was to Marjorie Willett in February of 1948. With Willett, he went on to have four children – Barry Van Dyke (born in 1951), Stacy Van Dyke, Christian Van Dyke (eldest son) & Carrie Beth van Dyke (born in 1963).
- Arlene Silver married Van Dyke in 2012, and reassured family, friends, and the press that the mammoth 46-year age gap between them wasn’t an issue.
- They celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary in February 2017.
Professional Life & Net worth :
- Silver has had an impressive career in makeup for a multitude of films. She has also starred as herself in a few movies along with her husband.
Makeup Artist :
- Although she worked as an event makeup artist before working in films, Silver first began her movie makeup career in 2007 with the TV movie Murder 101: If Wishes Were Horses. The movie starred Dick Van Dyke as a criminology professor investigating the circumstances around the death of a horse owner in a suspicious fire. She did makeup specifically for Van Dyke.
- She worked on a few short films during the rest of 2007, including “The Men of Delta Force Salute the Troops and Mr. Chili: Too Hot for TV!
- In 2008, she was Van Dyke’s makeup artist again in a follow-up movie called Murder 101: New Age.
- She worked on a few more short films throughout 2008, including Larry’s Use of the Analogy and Die Laughing!, but did no films in 2009. She completed one more short film, “The Caretaker 3D,” in 2010 and then did two more shorts in 2011.
- In 2015, she returned to Van Dyke’s side and was his makeup artist for the short film Merry Xmas, which starred Van Dyke as a father who calls his adult kids to tell them that he and their mother are getting divorced after 55 years of marriage.
Acting Work :
- In 2016, Arlene produced and appeared in the documentary Welcome Home, Dick Van Dyke.
- The film follows Van Dyke as he returns to his hometown in Danville, Illinois, and tours the city, talking about his memories.
- She also appeared in the documentary If You’re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast, which released in 2017.
- Arlene & Van Dyke also gave a glimpse of their home & their personal lives in an Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN Show).