Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Dr. Sharon Malone, an older woman with short hair and smart eyes, is an obstetrician-gynecologist, or OBGYN, currently working in a private practice.
- She has also made a TV debut in the PBS special Slavery by Another Name.
- She is also the wife of former attorney general Eric Holder Jr., who was the first African-American attorney general in US history. The couple has a daughter named Maya Holder.
Education & College :
Undergraduate Degree :
- Beginning her journey of excellence in her field, Sharon attended Harvard University.
- She graduated cum-laude from the university in 1981 with her bachelor’s degree.
- After working for a while, Dr. Malone attended medical school at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, a private medical school located in New York City.
- The school, often called P&S is one of the top medical schools in the US.
- Thousands of applicants are screened for just over 150 spots per year, and Dr. Malone was intelligent and driven enough to be one of them.
- After graduating from P&S, Dr. Malone went on to begin her residency at George Washington University.
- She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology, and began working at a private practice as an OBGYN soon afterward.
Career, Income, Salary & Net Worth :
- Before she attended medical school, Sharon worked as a systems engineer for IBM.
- While she enjoyed the challenge of it, the work was not fulfilling to her, and so she decided to go to medical school.
- Dr. Malone currently works at Foxhall OB/GYN Associates, a practice based in Washington, D.C.
- Through her contacts from her marriage and her time as a resident, Dr. Malone often takes on high-profile patients.
- In 2012, Dr. Malone signed on to be a part of the PBS documentary Slavery by Another Name, which sheds light on the way black people were victimized post-Emancipation.
- The documentary covers the period of time between the end of the Civil War and the beginning of World War II, where over 800,000 African American were subject to extreme discrimination in the Deep South.
- She gives testimony about her late uncle Henry Malone, who was arrested for a minor alcohol crime, but sentenced to over a year in prison, where he was abused and came out severely traumatized.
Personal Life & Marriage :
- Sharon was born in Mobile, Alabama, and grew up in a household proud of their ancestry.
- Her sister, Vivian Malone Jones, was the first African American to graduate from the University of Alabama, and their parents always encouraged them to follow their ambitions.
- She is currently married to Eric Holder Jr., who returned to his private practice in 2015 after resigning as attorney general in 2014.
- Together, the couple has three children.