Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Dr. Ruti Sonia Batra is a board-certified dermatologist and television show co-host. She is also the founder and president of a private medical practice.
- She has been well-known and respected in her field for many years, but rose to real fame after becoming a co-host on the Emmy Award-winning show The Doctors.
Family Background & Personal Life :
- A first-generation American, Sonia’s parents immigrated to the U.S. from India in 1973. She was destined for a career in medicine as her dad, mom, and older brother – Dr. Gopal K. Batra, Dr. Poonam Batra, and Dr. Nick Batra – were all physicians as well.
- Staying true to her medical roots, Sonia married urologist Dr. Sameer Malhotra. The couple lives a mile from where Sonia grew up with their Havanese dog and two kids: Tara, 12; and Shaun, 10 (ages as of 2020).
Early Life & Education :
- Sonia attended Kenter Canyon Elementary School – the same school at which her kids are now students. She spent grades 6-8 at Paul Revere Middle School where she was a flutist in the marching band.
- In 1991, she graduated from Palisades High School. As a junior, she was on the Academic Decathlon team that won the city title and finished second in California. She was also the valedictorian for her graduating class.
- It took Sonia only three years to earn her Bachelor’s degree from Harvard University – a dual degree in history and biochemistry.
- In her short time at Harvard, Dr. Batra was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa honor society and served as president of the student council. She graduated with the highest distinction, Magna-cum-Laude.
- Selected as one of the youngest Rhodes Scholars, Sonia earned her Master’s degree from Oxford University in molecular genetics. She earned another Master’s degree from Harvard School of Public Health in health policy and management.
- Moving back west to her home state, she finally completed her internship, residency and chief residency at Stanford University.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Upon completing her residency, Sonia served as the head of dermatology and dermatologic surgery at the City of Hope National Medical Center in California. At the same time, she began working as a clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- In March 2007, she left her position at the hospital to open her own private practice, Batra Medical, Cosmetic and Surgical Dermatology.
- After appearing on The Doctors as a guest host several times, Sonia became a regular co-host on the Emmy Award-winning show in August 2016.
Fun Facts & Trivia :
- Despite them all being in the medical field, Sonia’s family members each have a different specialty: her dad is an internist; her mom is a radiologist; and her brother is an ophthalmologist.
- Her brother Nick developed his passion for ophthalmology after their grandmother lost her eye to an infection.
- Back in 1995, Sonia wrote for the “Let’s Go” travel guides in their Europe, Spain and Portugal publications.
- In her limited free time, she played on the soccer team at Oxford University.
- Ironically, Sonia’s least favorite subject in high school was Life Skills and Health.
- She has treated patients of all age groups, with her eldest being 107!
Body Info / Physical Features
Sonia Batra Measurements :
- Eye Color : Brown
- Hair Color : Black
- How tall / Height : 5′ 5″
- Pregnant ? : Currently, she is not expecting a baby.
Personal / Home Details
As of 2020, she is around 46 years old.
- Sonia Batra Married? : Yes
- Children / No of Kids : 2
- Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : South Asian (Indian)
- Nationality : American