Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Dr. Lisa Masterson is an American medical doctor and a Board-certified specialist in obstetrics and gynaecology.
- She is better known as the co-host of the popular Emmy® Award-winning talk show, The Doctors® & for her weekly Itunes podcast ‘Health in Heels.’
Early Life & Family Background :
- Born on March 19, 1966, in Louisiana, as Lisa Marie Milner, Dr. Masterson had a hard upbringing.
- Her parents were separated after a heated argument when she was three, and Dr. Masterson chose to live with her mother.
A Difficult Childhood :
- Growing up in the middle of the Civil Rights war in Louisiana without a father was very difficult.
- Lisa remembers moving around a lot due to a weird reason – Her mother was always trying to stretch the limited funds they had, including quietly leaving their rented apartment before the rent was due.
- Although it was a time of upheaval where they were not sure where or when they would sleep or eat, Dr. Masterson recollects how her mother always stressed on the importance of education for Lisa.
- There were times when Dr. Masterson also had to support her mother, who would often have terrible meltdowns from ongoing stress and bouts of depression. Thus, the mother-daughter duo worked as a solid team.
- Through her mother’s tireless efforts, Lisa attended some of the best private schools without paying any fees.
- She attended The Bishops School in La Jolla. She then graduated with honors from Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts with a degree in biochemistry.
- Lisa received her Doctor of Medicine (M.D) in Obstetrics and Gynaecology residency programme at University of Southern California.
Book & Autobiography :
- Lisa wrote about her rough journey from childhood to being a successful doctor in her memoir “Paper Dollhouse.”
- The book was named after a school incident where her teacher asked all the little girls to bring their dollhouses to school.
- Dr. Masterson was so poor she made hers out of paper, but her mother made her believe it was the best dollhouse in the class.
Mother’s Death : Lisa’s Greatest Tragedy
- Lisa’s mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1993. Lisa was in her first year as an OBGYN intern at USC County hospital.
- She also just had a baby and got divorced from her husband, whom she had married in 1990.
- It was a challenging time for her, more so for the helplessness she felt at not being able to save her mother.
- Her mother died within the year, which threw Dr. Masterson into a deep depression. She stopped eating, stayed in her room, and lost her will to live. It was her son, Daniel, who helped to save her.
- He once came to Lisa and just said, “I need my mom back. I need my mom
- A wake-up call, Dr. Masterson took it as a sign that her child needed her to be there, just like her mom was for her.
Charity Work & Awards :
- Dr. Masterson has a strong philanthropic ethic. She founded a charity, Maternal Fetal Care International (MFCI), which takes her to impoverished regions around the world to improve maternal healthcare.
- She founded the first OB/GYN residency program and birthing clinics in Kenya and India.
- She has addressed the United Nations Foundation’s Social Good Summit in New York in September 2010 through her work with MFCI.
- In addition, Dr. Masterson is a Champion for the UN Foundation’s Girl Up program, that inspires & encourages American teenage girls to raise money for supporting health and education in impoverished areas around the world.
- Dr. Masterson has been awarded a Red Cross Humanitarian Award and the March of Dimes Golden Rattle Award in recognition of her charity and advocacy work.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Dr. Masterson is a Fellow at American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and has a private practice in Santa Monica.
- She is also a founder and medical director of the Ocean Oasis Medical Spa.
- She had appeared as subject matter expert in TV shows such as the Oprah Winfrey Show, Today, Good Morning America, Late Night with Craig Ferguson, Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray amongst others.
- A published author, Lisa’s medical articles have been published in Green Journal & the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Personal Life, Height & Other Trivia :
- Dr. Masterson currently lives in Southern California. She is an advocate of life-long learning and intends to learn how to surf and baton twirling.
- She remains good friends with her ex-husband.