Biography Profile / Wiki Information
Melissa Shoshana Lewkowicz is an American criminal defense lawyer & TV personality.
Personal : Early Life & Family :
- One strong influence as to why she wanted to become a lawyer was due to her mother’s high school boyfriend, Ira Chester.
- Growing up, Melissa’s mom would host weekly dinner parties at their household. Ira would entertain Melissa by sharing some of his court case dramas of how he would defend the falsely accused. The young Melissa, hanging onto every one of his last words, decided then and there that she too would defend the wrongfully convicted.
- In 2017, Melissa got engaged to Jason Huberman. A year later, the two got married.
Qualifications & Education :
- Melissa attended the Bar-Ilan University in Tel Aviv, Israel for a year.
- She relocated to the United States and attended the Fordham University in New York, graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in ‘English and Philosophy.’
- In 2006, she went on to graduate from Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center in New York.
- In 2008, Lewkowicz was admitted to The State Bar of California.
Legal Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- After graduation from Touro College, Melissa started to practice law and currently represents clients in the Los Angeles area.
- Initially, she assisted with pro bono cases for the King’s County District Attorney for almost two years.
- In 2008, she became a partner at her own law firm, “Chester & Lewkowicz Attorneys at Law” (alongside her mother’s high school boyfriend, Ira Chester) and has been so for more than a decade.
- The criminal defense law firm specializes in defending clients on felony, misdemeanor & other offenses. It has dealt with a multitude of cases involving driving under the influence, sex crimes, drug crimes, domestic violence, gang-related offenses, internet crimes, and probation violations, to name a few.
Starring in a TV Show :
- In 2017, Melissa was approached to star on a reality television series called Reasonable Doubt.
- The show’s synopsis was that she would team up with retired homicide detective Chris Anderson & the pair would investigate potential wrongfully convicted murders.
- Each week, they would be presented with a new case. After a thorough investigation, the duo would have to decide whether the conviction was indeed wrongful or whether the convict’s family would have to face the bitter truth that their family member was indeed guilty as charged.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Melissa believes the success of her law firm boils down to her dedicated approach on every single case she is assigned and in being aggressive and proactive in handling criminal cases.
- In 2017, the rating service ‘Super Lawyers’ named Melissa a ‘Rising Star’ as one of their ‘Top Rated Criminal Defence Attorneys in Los Angeles.’ In 2018, she was included in the list of ‘America’s Most Honored Professionals!’
- Melissa’s curiosity to become a lawyer was due to her mother’s high school boyfriend, Ira. Growing up, Melissa’s mother would host weekly dinner parties at their household. Ira would entertain Melissa by sharing some of his court case dramas of how he would defend the falsely accused. Melissa, hanging onto every one of his last words, decided then and there that she too would defend the wrongfully convicted.
- During the filming of ‘Reasonable Doubt,’ Melissa had a habit of leaning forward in her chair when someone would be telling her a story or vital piece of information. To prevent this, the crew thought it would be a good idea to tie her up with a bungee cord any time she sat on a chair.
- Melissa is multi-lingual and is able to speak six different languages – English, Yiddish, Spanish, German, French and Hebrew.