Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- James Damore is an American software engineer, formerly employed by the tech giant Google.
- He became internationally known when he was fired from the company for writing a memo arguing against their diversity policies.
Family Background & Personal Life :
- James Anthony Damore was born on April 24, 1989, in Romeoville, Illinois. After briefly living in New Jersey and Massachusetts, he moved to California where he still resides.
- The rest of his family – younger brother Joshua, older brother John, and parents John and Deborah – still live in the Chicago area.
- As revealed in a 2017 interview, James has a girlfriend who is both a feminist and a scientist in the tech world. As such, she has mostly remained anonymous following the release of James’ memo.
- In 2017, Damore revealed that he had been diagnosed as autistic while in his twenties. Although he does not blame this for his controversial beliefs, he does think it makes him less understanding of socially accepted ideologies.
Early Life & Education :
- As a child, James exhibited exceptional abilities. By the age of 11, he had coded his own game; by 12, he could compete in four games of chess simultaneously while blindfolded; at 15, he was ranked #1 in the world at the computer strategy game, Rise of Nations.
- Starting at Romeoville High School, James completed his high school years at Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy.
- From there, he attended the University of Illinois, earning a B.S in molecular biology with minors in physics and chemistry. At graduation he was listed on the Bronze Tablet – an honor reserved for those in the top 3 percent of their college.
- Later pursuing his doctorate, Damore went headed to Harvard University, but left to work for Google before receiving his Ph.D.. Instead, he earned a Master’s degree from the Ivy League school in systems biology.
Controversy, Salary & Net Worth :
- During his undergraduate years, James spent his summers interning as a research assistant at Princeton and Harvard. Between degrees, he worked as a research scientist at MIT.
- After a four-month internship, he began his career at Google in 2013. He was promoted twice in his first two years, finishing as a senior software engineer.
- In August 2017, James was fired after releasing “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber.” The 10-page, 3,300 word memo was in response to a diversity session put on by Google, and argued that psychological differences between men and women made men more suited to work in technology. The reaction was polarizing, and James was fired for “perpetuating gender stereotypes.”
- Since his public termination, he has been unable to find work but has been a regular interviewee for people on both sides of his argument.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
April 24, 1989. As of 2020, he is around 31 years old.
- Although technologically minded, James also enjoys the arts. In his free time, he draws charcoal portraits.
- His brother, John, is a celebrity in his own right. As a band director at Eisenhower Junior H.S. in 2003, his percussionist broke a cymbal in the middle of playing the “Star Spangled Banner.” Quickly recovering, the student stood saluting the flag for the remainder of the anthem. A video of the event went viral and has since been viewed over a million times.