Leslie Blodgett (maiden name Leslie Abualy) is the founder of the world’s first mineral-based cosmetics line – bareMinerals, the core product of the company she founded, Bare Escentuals, Inc.
Personal Life, Family & Education :
- Leslie is originally from Smithtown, New York.
- She is the middle child of parents – Sylvia Abualy (mother) and Stanley Abualy (father). Her father passed away in the year 2000.
- She has two siblings – A brother named Gerald Abualy & a sister named Colaine Abualy.
- Leslie attended the Smithtown High School West and later graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT).
- Her mother was a home economics teacher at her high school. She is now a photographer at Santa Barbara.
- Leslie married Keith Masters Blodgett at The Tower Suite in New York City in December 1986.
- The couple had a son named Trent (born in 1991) after they relocated to Baltimore.
Early Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- While studying at FIT, Leslie had an internship with Estée Lauder fragrances, and worked at Ultima II wearing as many as 8 shades of eye shadow at once.
- She also had an internship at Revlon, where she was pinnacle to the product development of the Max Factor colourless mascara.
- She relocated to Baltimore with her husband after Procter & Gamble acquired Revlon. However, she was unsatisfied with her career and took upon a role at Neutrogena in Los Angeles.
Building a Business :
- Leslie’s rise to fame with ‘Bare Escentuals’ started when a friend of her friend offered her the opportunity to revive its failing business. As CEO, Leslie shifted her focus onto mineral-based cosmetics and introduced the line bareMinerals.
- The sales of the new product line did not fare well in the beginning. That was when Leslie took the chance to try and advertise her product on QVC, the biggest home shopping network. It turned out to be a successful movie, exhausting the product inventory after going the first time on-air.
- Sales increased rapidly as Leslie continued marketing her products on QVC. It was not long before she was selling at around $1.4 million an hour! She also actively followed up on customers who were disappointed and complained in the forums.
- Lisa Robertson, a former Miss Tennessee, mentions that Leslie was doing social media before the existence of MySpace or Facebook!
- In 2010, she accepted the offer from Japanese multinational company Shiseido to acquire Bare Escentuals, Inc. for a whopping $1.7 billion. It was hailed as one of the largest acquisitions in the cosmetics industry. While she was no longer CEO of Bare Escentuals, Shiseido still wanted her to be the face of the bareMinerals product line.
Latest Updates :
- Prior to attending FIT, Leslie wanted to study modern dance at the State University of New York at Oswego (SUNY Oswego). She dropped out after two years and worked as a part-time waitress at Ponderosa Steakhouse. Her mother persuaded her to apply to FIT for a cosmetic marketing program.
- Leslie gave a TED talk titled: “Let it go: An experiment in forgiveness” in an effort to reconcile with her sister. She revealed that she had a rough childhood and did not always get along with her sister. Now that they have grown up, Leslie wanted to put the past behind her and be closer to her own family.
Leslie Blodgett Measurements :
- Eye Color : Brown
- Haircut / Hair Color : Brown
- Height : No confirmed information is available.
- Feet / Legs / Boots / Shoe Size : No confirmed information is available.
- Pregnant ? : Currently, she is not expecting a baby.
- Leslie Blodgett Weight Loss : A few Google queries regarding this, but we couldn’t find anything conclusive on any of her social media.
- Leslie Blodgett Married ? : Yes
- Children / No of Kids : 1
- Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : White
- Nationality : American