Nomuzi Mabena is a well-known host, fashion icon and TV personality from Johannesburg. In 2014, she was nominated for the Glamour Magazine’s “Women of the Year” award by its readers.
Personal Life : Parents, Family and Education
- Nomuzi was born on 22 September 1992 in Benoni, a small suburb of Johannesburg.
- Family : She was raised to be quite close to her parents and has a little sister.
- She cites her family as being the biggest inspiration in her life and she has frequently mentioned her parents in interviews – saying she could not be where she is today without their support.
- Her nickname from birth has been ‘Moo-Zlie,’ and she has said she prefers it over Nomuzi.
- Education : After completing her initial schooling at the St. Dunstan’s College, she was then accepted into the Sandton Varsity College.
- She later graduated from there with a Bachelor of Arts and a major in Communication Studies.
Early Career, Professional Life and Net Worth
- Nomuzi’s first big break came in the form of a VJ job, beating thousands of applicants for the role in the MTV Base VJ Search.
- This also led to a short run on the Internet-based radio show ‘The Lip Gloss Diaries’ which cemented her popularity amongst the female population of Johannesburg.
Work as a Master of Ceremonies :
- From the age of 15 and onwards, she has been invited to perform as the Host (or Master of Ceremonies) for countless live events.
- The most notable events include: TUK’s RAG Queen Crowning ; Masters of Rhythm ; Mr & Miss Benoni ; the MTV Base Live Urban Smooth Sessions & MTV MAMA’s roach to the MAMA’s.
- In 2014, she hosted the MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet. Her interactions with such celebrities as Ed Sheeran, Jeremy Scott and Chanel Iman caught the attention of Billboard Magazine, who praised her work as being clever and credible.
Modelling, Dresses, Outfits & Pageant Career :
- Nomuzi began her modelling career posing for Khosi Nksi @ YDE and the Trading Post. The success of both led to further print work for her.
- Having competed in beauty contests throughout her life at the insistence of her mother, she has held the following titles: Miss Junior St. Dunstan’s ; Miss Kensington & Miss Benoni.
- Having won Miss Benoni twice, she states that is her favourite title as she grew up in the area.
- Her charity work while holding all three titles saw her popularity rise amongst the Johannesburg communities and she has frequently been said to be a good influence on the youth of the area.