Wiki Profile / Bio Information
- D’Niel Strauss is a South African entrepreneur and self-made millionaire.
- A private equity and venture capital entrepreneur, Strauss is a Director of various South African companies. He is often invited as a guest lecturer at the University of Stellenbosch (USB) business school.
Personal Life, Parents & Family Background :
- Since February 2016, D’Niel is married to Rolene Strauss, a former ‘Miss South Africa’ and ‘Miss World’.
- The couple’s first son was born in January 2017 and they are expecting their second child in early 2020.
- The family lives on the luxurious ‘Val de Vie Estate’ in Pearl Valley, Western Cape, South Africa.
Early Life and Education :
- A fiercely private man, little is known about Strauss’s early years.
- He holds a B. Eng (Industrial Engineering) and an MBA from the University of Stellenbosch Business School.
Business Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- In 2007, and at the height of the global financial crisis, D’Niel entered the job market.
- During D’Niel’s early career, he worked in management consultancy and private equities.
- He soon realised that although being an entrepreneur was risky, it was not as risky as being employed by someone else!
- Taking on the challenge of becoming an entrepreneur, he set up his own company called Stocks and Strauss with his business partner Wayne Stocks in 2013 intending to invest in high potential, early-stage entrepreneurs.
- With a clear acumen for business, he realised that investing in more established companies was the way forward and it is this foresight that has led to his success.
- Such is his vision for the future, he is often approached by others wanting to invest in Stocks and Strauss and share in their growth.
- With a firm belief in the future of his home country of South Africa, D’Niel is not looking to expand internationally.
- His latest venture sees him as the Co-founder and Director of Orientis Venture Capital and Vela Growth.
- Today, Strauss employs more than 130 people in his companies within various roles from lawyers and engineers to creative assistants.
- As a guest lecturer at the University of Stellenbosch, D’Niel states that he feels it is a privilege to be able to give something back and help young entrepreneurs.
- In 2018, he hosted his first careers Service ‘Lion’s Den’ event for the University of Stellenbosch, where he also sat on the panel while young entrepreneurs pitched their business ideas.
Trivia, Height & Interesting Facts :
- D’Niel first met his wife Rolene dancing and used the unusual chat up line of ‘You look intelligent,’ which captured her interest.
- On his first trip to meet his future wife’s family, he broke his father-in-law’s driver (golf club) on the golf course.
- During his courtship, Rolene was the reigning ‘Miss South Africa’ and ‘Miss World’ and therefore had to keep their romance a secret. To get around this, D’Niel would often turn up at events as her driver.
- “Build strong foundations before you add the creative” is D’Niels mantra.
- He uses the term ‘Wantreprenurs’ for those who seek the limelight all of the time.
- He and his wife are often photographed at South African society events and have been labelled a ‘power couple.’
- When not working, Strauss likes to be a husband and father and can be seen taking the Red City Bus tours.
- He and his family like the beach life, in particular, sunset walks and swims.