Rhea Hughes is an American sports host, journalist, and reporter. Most recognized as a morning host on Philadelphia’s WIP-FM sports radio show, she has worked for the station in different roles for more than two decades.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Rhea Hughes was born on December 29, 1968. She is private about her family life with very little presence on social media.
- After being married for around four years to a construction manager and former bartender, Joe Cohn, Rhea gave birth to her first child in 2009. They named the baby boy Clark Hughes Cohn.
- Prior to her marriage with Joe, Rhea was married for a few years to Chuck Penza.
Early Life & Education :
- At just four years old, Rhea knew that she wanted to work in radio; she announced it to her family at the time, and her mom has continually told the story since. It appears as though sports also played a role in Rhea’s early childhood, as it is a shared passion between her and her siblings.
- Pursuing her dreams while staying close to home base, she attended Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, & graduated with a degree in radio, film, and television.
Career, Job, Salary & Net worth :
- Rhea began her career at WIP-FM radio in the early 90s as a producer and traffic announcer.
- Over the next few years, she worked as a sports update anchor; a producer and engineer for the 76ers broadcast; and an Eagles reporter for the station.
- For four years from 2011-2015, she also hosted CSNPhilly.com’s Lunch Break webcast.
- In 1997, Rhea joined the WIP Morning Show alongside Angelo Cataldi and Al Morganti — a position that she still holds to this day. Although some criticize her for her outspoken views, she also has many fans who respect her knowledge and opinion of Philly sports.
- During her time with WIP, Rhea has devoted some of her time to ventures outside of the station. She has worked as a sideline reporter for the Philadelphia Soul arena football team and as the P.A. announcer for Temple University’s women’s basketball team.
- In 2006, Hughes filled in as a commentator for her alma mater’s football team broadcast.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Openly critical of Allen Iverson when he was a 76er, Rhea received an email from a man during the 2000 playoffs who was threatening to kill Iverson’s daughter. Rhea immediately forwarded the email to the FBI, who promptly arrested the man and charged him with sending threatening emails across state lines.
- Before making it big in the sports radio world, Rhea supported herself by working as a physical transcriptionist, working a few dollars an hour; she types 100+ wpm.
- In 2004, she was voted “Best Sports Chick” by the New York City based publication, My City Paper.
- Rhea disclosed that her guilty pleasure is watching the HGTV show Beachfront Bargain Hunt.