Matilda Rose Ledger is the only daughter of deceased Australian actor-director Heath Ledger and American actress Michelle Williams.
Personal Life, Parents & Family Background :
- Matilda was born on October 28, 2005, in New York City.
- Her parents met during the filming of Brokeback Mountain in 2004, in which they both won their first Oscars.
- Her grandparents are Kim Ledger and Sally Ledger Bell from the paternal side, Larry R. Williams and Carla Ingrid Williams from the maternal side.
- Her grandparents in Australia call her “the little New Yorker” and don’t get to see her as much as they liked. This is due to Michelle’s lifestyle as an actress and as the benefactor for the Heath Ledger Scholarship in Australia.
- Godparents : Jake Gyllenhaal is her godfather and Busy Philipps is her godmother.
- She currently lives with her mother in Brooklyn and attends school there.
Heath’s Death & Private Life :
- There were reports of Heath and Michelle separating four months, before he passed away in September 2007.
- Matilda was only 2 years of age when her father accidentally overdosed and died.
- Since Heath’s death, Matilda and her mother naturally became the centre of attention for the media.
- Michelle went to great lengths to try and avoid publicity so as to give Matilda a quiet and normal life. She praised Kirsten Bell for her help in shutting down several media outlets publishing unauthorised photos of celebrities’ children, which included Matilda.
Michelle’s Key Role in Bringing up Matilda :
- Michelle had several but short-lived relationships since her late husband’s passing.
- Some of her ex-boyfriends include Jason Segel, Spike Jonze and Jonathan Safran-Foer.
- This is due to her strong focus on providing for her daughter welfare, which she claims will be made more difficult by having relationships. She said, I would be able to go totally down that line of thinking were it not for Matilda not having her dad.
- Michelle finds comfort in her daughter whenever she misses Heath. In the few months after his death, her resemblance to Heath was a source of sadness and grief, but later became a fount of joy and pride for Michelle.
- Matilda’s aunt, Kate Ledger (Heath’s sister) praises her mother for raising her as a single working mother.
- The documentary I Am Heath Ledger was a tribute to Matilda’s late father, as well as a gift for her about her dad from everyone involved, to get to know him better.
Interesting Facts & Trivia :
- Matilda is said to have a split image of her father and is often linked to the memory of Heath. Her grandparents expressed that she has his energy and curiosity, just as Heath was at that age.
- She has her late father’s deep almond-shaped eyes and wide jawline.
- Matilda has a keen interest in animals & owns a cat, a dog and a fish.