Wikipedia Biography / Profile Information
- Dr. Kristi Funk is an American physician, breast cancer surgeon, author, and advocate for women’s health. She is based in Beverly Hills, California.
- A world-renowned professional, Dr. Funk is most famous for performing a double mastectomy on Hollywood star Angelina Jolie which gained notice all over the world, especially amongst breast cancer awareness activists.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Background :
- Kristi Funk (maiden name Kristi Almo) was born in Pacific Palisades, California, on September 22nd, 1969.
- In 2007, she married an impact investor, entrepreneur, and endurance athlete named Andy Funk. The couple lives in Santa Monica, California, and are parents to triplet boys named Ethan, Sebastian, and Justin.
- Andy has helped found several companies, including GameReady, Organic To Go, and Network for Good.
- When she is not working, Dr. Funk loves to do at-home workouts with her sons and an au pair she and her husband hired to help out with the boys.
Education : Qualifications, High School & College Info
- Kristi attended the Marymount High School before going on to graduate from Stanford University in 1991 with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology.
- She then moved on to UC Davis School of Medicine, where she earned a Medical Degree in 1996.
- After graduating from medical school, Dr. Funk spent 5 years in Seattle, Washington, interning as a General Surgery Resident at the Virginia Mason Medical Center.
- In 2001, she moved to Los Angeles, and completed a 1-year fellowship in Breast Cancer Surgery at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Career, Job, Salary & Net worth :
- In 1999, Dr. Funk became an America College of Surgeons Fellow while she was completing her residency in Washington.
- She became a full-time surgeon at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in 2002. The same year, she was recognized as an American Society of Breast Surgeons member.
- For the next 6 years, Dr. Kristi worked in Los Angeles as a Breast Cancer Surgeon before settling down in Beverly Hills, where she founded the Pink Lotus Breast Center in July 2007. Pink Lotus was recognized as the first-ever medical center specializing in breast cancer treatment. It was revered for its state-of-the-art genetic testing, art screening, diagnosis, preventative methods, surgical treatment, and general patient care.
- In addition to being the founder and head surgeon at Pink Lotus Breast Center, Dr. Funk also serves as the center’s Medical Director.
- Dr. Funk is also the founder of a program called ‘Cancer-Kicking’ which helps people understand cancer better and make smarter decisions when treating or preventing its spread.
- She is also an author on the blog, Breast Cancer 101 and is a passionate women’s health speaker and advocate.
Finding Fame :
- In May 2013, Dr. Funk made news headlines when it was revealed that she had performed a preventive double mastectomy on legendary Hollywood actress and activist Angelina Jolie.
- Kristi outlined the entire procedure in a blog post and helped spread awareness for breast cancer treatments and surveillance.
- Since the procedure, Dr. Kristi has worked with other high-profile clients, including songwriter, actress, and singer Sheryl Crow.
- Dr. Funk has published a book titled Breast: The Owner’s Manual, which became a bestseller in more than 20 countries. Her fame has led her to present her research on TV shows such as The Doctors, Good Morning America, and The View.
Interesting Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Dr. Kristi has over 50K followers on her Instagram account.