Sam Bernstein is an American attorney who is the founder of a long-standing law firm specializing in personal injury, The Sam Bernstein Law Firm, which was initially known as The Law Offices of Sam Bernstein.
Personal Life : Parents, Family and Education
- Samuel Isaac Bernstein was born in 1944 in Detroit, Michigan, to Mandell Bernstein, the founder of the Bernstein family of lawyers.
- Growing up in Detroit, Sam attended Mumford High School, on the northwest side of Detroit.
- He then studied at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in education and political science.
- He followed that up by studying law at Wayne State University Law School in Detroit. He graduated in 1968 and was admitted to the bar.
- Sam married Susan Nelson, and together they had three children who have all worked for the firm – Mark Bernstein, Beth Bernstein, and Richard Bernstein.
- Mark and Beth can still be found working there, but their brother Richard left in 2014 when he became part of the Michigan Supreme Court as a justice.
Career, Firm’s Success and Net worth :
- Post graduation, Sam founded his practice in Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- The firm now has two offices in the Metro Detroit area and has over one hundred employees. The practice deals mostly with personal injury law cases, as well as disability and social security rights, and has even had cases dealing with medical malpractice.
- The firm has also dealt with several notable cases through its four decades. Many of these cases involved suits against huge institutions, such as the Detroit Department of Transport, the University of Michigan’s stadium, Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), Northwest Airlines and Wayne County Airport Authority, the American Bar Association, the International triathlon union, and even the City of New York and New York City Department of Transportation.
- These standout suits were primarily bringing to attention issues of discrimination and accessibility affecting disabled people, as well as those dealing with grievous injuries.
- Sam has retired from the firm, but the team of excellent lawyers there carries on his family’s legacy.
Interesting Facts, Height and Trivia :
- Sam’s wife Susan is the daughter of Estelle Koblin-Nelson, who was admitted into the Michigan Bar in 1936 as one of the first female attorneys in the state.
- Sam’s son Richard H. Bernstein was born legally blind due to retinitis pigmentosa, a genetic disorder that breaks down eye retina cells. He is the first blind justice in the state of Michigan, and one of three in the country.
- Besides his work in the legal field, Bernstein also conducts law lectures for colleges, law schools, organizations, and bar associations.
- Sam is a licensed lawyer across the states of Florida, New York, Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. He is a member of the Michigan Bar Association, the Ohio Bar Association, and the Illinois Bar Association.
- Sam’s father, Mandell, has been a huge influence and inspiration for Sam, both personally and professionally. The firm has been styled according to Mandell’s precepts.