Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Jim Defede is an American journalist, host and investigative reporter, originally from Florida.
- Controversial and outspoken, Jim is not afraid to use unconventional means to get a deeper insight into news stories, something that has cost him his job in the past.
Personal Life and Family Background :
- Defede was born on August 11, 1962, in Brooklyn, New York.
- His family still lives in Brooklyn in an apartment building with controlled rent.
- Throughout the years, Jim has had troubles with his health, diet, lifestyle, and especially his weight.
- In 2007, Jim underwent emergency surgery to remove built-up fluid around his heart. The fluid was discovered during a checkup and Jim’s doctor insisted on removing it immediately before advising him to make some major lifestyle changes.
- Jim attended the Colorado State University but dropped out before graduating.
- Defede’s career began in 1986 when he landed a job as a reporter in Spokane, Washington, at the Spokesman-Review.
- Five years later, he became a staff writer for Miami New Times and spent the next eleven years getting settled down in Florida. During his time at the publication, Jim won several awards for his investigative work.
- The year 2002 saw him shift career paths and become a columnist for Miami Herald Metro. He worked for the publication for three years and left it in 2005.
- In January of 2006, Defede joined CBS4 News and was named Investigative Reporter and host of the Facing South Florida public affairs show.
- In 2016, he traveled all over the states of South Carolina, Florida, and New Hampshire, covering the presidential election campaign. His journalistic skills saw him land interviews with bigwig politicians like Marco Rubio, Donald Trump, and Jeb Bush.
- Defede has produced special news shows like The Versace Murder: A South Beach Story, Life and Death at Zoo Miami, and the Last Chance: Boot Camp.
- He also spent one year producing and researching for the Everglades: Where Politics, Money, and Race Collide documentary, which aired on CBS4 News in August of 2017.
- Jim’s career has also seen him write for the Talk Magazine column by Tina Brown.
- He has also been featured in various publications such as Radar, The London Independent, The New Republic, Mother Jones, Loft, Miami Monthly, Newsday, and Key West Magazine.
- In addition to being a journalist, columnist, and reporter, Jim is also an author of a book titled The Day The World Came To Town: 9/11, which won a Christopher Award in 2003.
- Jim also has five Emmy Awards, which he won while working on various projects for CBS4 News.
Trivia, Height and Interesting Facts :
- In July 2005, Defede was fired by the Miami Herald after it became public knowledge that he had secretly recorded a conversation he had with infamous politician Arthur Teele Jr.
- Teele Jr. was under investigation for various fraud and corruption scandals, including money laundering.
- In 2018, Jim was named in a lawsuit filed by reporter and journalist Michele Gillen for alleged sexism, harassment, and bullying.
- In the lawsuit, Gillen claimed that Defede had taken several cruel jabs at women and her personally. Jim declined to comment on the issue.